Some believe that because science fiction is not a fact it’s just a waste of time. Others believe reading science fiction can be extremely beneficial for children. So, is there any benefit in reading science fiction, you may ask.
Experts believe that reading science fiction:
- encourages creativity and imagination,
- introduces young minds to unusual concepts, advanced technologies, and alternative worlds,
- encourages thinking beyond the boundaries of reality,
- can lead to original thinking and problem-solving skills,
- encourages critical thinking and discussions about the possible effects of scientific progress on society,
Historically, science fiction has been labelled for nerds. Research, however, shows that all fiction can generate valuable thinking skills and emotional intelligence for young readers – and science fiction may have a power of its own.
The following are a few ideas for Christmas stockings:
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle: This classic novel follows the adventures of Meg Murry and her friends as they travel through time and space to rescue her father.
- The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau: Set in an underground city, this story follows two young protagonists as they search for a way to escape their dying world.
- The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi: Eva Nine, a young girl, is raised by a robot on an alien planet and embarks on a quest to find other humans.
The above are suitable for children under 13 years of age. For teenagers consider the following:
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card: This classic novel follows Ender Wiggin as he is recruited into a military training programme to prepare for an alien invasion.
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner: Thomas wakes up in a mysterious maze with no memory of how he got there. He must work with the other inhabitants to escape.
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey: When Earth is invaded by aliens, Cassie Sullivan must navigate a world where the line between friend and foe is blurred.
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard: Mare Barrow, a lowly Red in a world of Silvers with superhuman abilities, discovers she has unique powers that threaten to upend society.